What is a Charter School?
A public school with a guiding focus or mission that is available to all students domiciled in NC.
- Tuition Free, State Supported and State Accountable
- Has an enrollment limitations - When applicants exceed seats available, they enter through a lottery.
- Applicants will be placed on a waiting list in order their number was drawn at the time of the lottery. The list will be available on our website. Once openings occur you will be notified in the order you are on the waiting list.
- Enrollment is not restricted to Forsyth County. Students can be from any county in North Carolina.
- A school of choice. If you decide that the charter school is not a good fit for your family, you may return to your local LEA.
- Are not governed by the local school board. For-profit companies may manage them, and there is no requirement that board members reside in North Carolina.
What is the difference between charter schools and other public schools?